WARNING

You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

Close [x]

RSS Feed

Posted on 03-13-2017

The week of March 19-25 is National Poison Prevention Week.  
This is a good reminder to take a look around your house for items that may be toxic or hazardous to your furry family members (and we don't mean Uncle Joe). Purses and flower pots are places that pets frequently get into trouble.  
The five most common purse items that are toxic to pets are:
  • sugarless chewing gum
  • medications 
  • asthma inhalers 
  • cigarettes
  • hand sanitizers  

A single acetaminophen tablet can be deadly to a cat.
 
Ingestion of antidepressants is responsible for the highest number of calls to Pet Poison Control.  
Sugarless gum contains xylitol, which can cause liver failure in dogs.
As few as three cigarettes can be fatal to a small dog.
Hand sanitizer contains ethanol.  Ingestion of a small bottle of hand sanitizer is essentially the same as alcohol poisoning in a human.
If you commonly carry medications in a purse or backpack be sure to keep the purse/backpack out of reach.  Hang it on a hook or place it in closet where it won't be investigated by curious pets. 
Flower pots can be irresistable to pets.  Both dogs and cats will chew or eat leaves or flowers from indoor plants, often with deadly consequences.  
Take a look around your yard, too.  Tulips, daffodils hyacinths, lilies are toxic to cats and dogs.  If you have these plants, place a fence or barrier around them to prevent access by pets.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you think, or know, that your pet has ingested a potentially harmful substance, call your vet right away.  Immediate action is vital!
The Pet Poison Hotline has a conprehensive list of plants that are toxic to pets.  www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poisons
The ASPCA offers a list, also:  www.humanesociety.org/assets/pdfs/pets/poisonous_plants.pdf
The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) is your best resource for any animal poison-related emergency, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. 
If you think your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, call (888) 426-4435. A $65 consultation fee may be applied to your credit card.

There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.

Post Comment

Welcome to Animal Care Associates Inc.

Your Veterinarian in Charleston, WV
Call us at 304-344-2244

                 

        

Office Hours

DayOpenClosed
Monday7:30am7:30pm
Tuesday7:30am6:30pm
Wednesday7:30am6:30pm
Thursday7:30am6:30pm
Friday7:30am7:30pm
Saturday8:00am3:00pm
Sunday12:00pm3:00pm


 

Doctor's Hours

Day Open Closed
Monday 9:00am to 1:00pm 3:00pm to 6:30pm
Tuesday 9:00am to 1:00pm 3:00pm to 5:00pm
Wednesday 9:00am to 1:00pm 3:00pm to 5:00pm
Thursday 9:00am to 1:00pm 3:00pm to 5:00pm
Friday 9:00am to 1:00pm 3:00pm to 6:30pm
Saturday 9:00am to 1:00pm
Sunday