If you need a more accessible version of this website, click this button on the right. Switch to Accessible Site

WARNING

You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

Close [x]

RSS Feed

Posted on 10-24-2017

Pet Safety Alert-Antifreeze

It’s fall, y’all!  The approach of cold weather means many of us will be refreshing or flushing the coolant systems in our automobiles.  Please keep in mind that antifreeze is very toxic to pets and it is important to clean any spills that might occur.  Keep containers of antifreeze tightly closed and out of reach of pets, or children, for that matter.  Antifreeze is toxic to humans, as well, but we are less likely to intentionally drink it.  Antifreeze poisoning is the most common type of poisoning in pets, according to petmd.com. 

Ethylene glycol, the active ingredient in automotive antifreeze, does its damage in an indirect way. When ethylene glycol is metabolized by the liver, a compound is formed from calcium in the pet’s blood.  This compound creates crystals which block or destroy important parts of the pet’s kidneys.  Although it takes a very small amount to be lethal (three ounces is enough to poison a medium-size dog, less for cats) pets may survive the initial poisoning only to develop kidney failure later.   

Pets can consume antifreeze without owners being aware they have done so, and the early symptoms can be vague, which means the pet may not get treatment as early as necessary.   Antifreeze poisoning also affects the brain and during the first stage of symptoms -the pet may appear drunk.  Other symptoms include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, frequent urination, weakness, depression, and seizures.  If you notice any of these symptoms in your pet, a call to a vet is imperative.   A veterinarian can tell you what to do at home if you suspect your pet has ingested antifreeze, and will give the pet a thorough exam once it reaches the office.  There is no home remedy for antifreeze poisoning, so a trip to the vet office is the only way to prevent further damage.

Remember, check under your automobiles for leaks, clean spills promptly if you do your own coolant flushing, and don’t let your pet drink from puddles in or near a roadway.   Prevention is key in keeping pets safe from antifreeze poisoning.

There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.

Post Comment

NOTICE

On November 20, 2017 Animal Care Associates will be stopping both the Loyalty Rewards Program and our mobile app.

We will continue with our Senior, Dental, Boarding and Military Discounts.

Our mobile friendly website address will remain www.acawv.com   You can still access your pet’s records through ePetHealth on our website.  If you have any questions please call our office at 304-344-2244.

Thank You, Animal Care Associates

Welcome to Animal Care Associates Inc.

Your Veterinarian in Charleston, WV
Call us at 304-344-2244

Office Hours

DayOpenClosed
Monday7:30am7:30pm
Tuesday7:30am6:30pm
Wednesday7:30am6:30pm
Thursday7:30am6:30pm
Friday7:30am7:30pm
Saturday8:00am3:00pm
Sunday12:00pm3:00pm


 

Doctor's Hours

Day Open Closed
Monday 9:00am to 1:00pm 3:00pm to 6:30pm
Tuesday 9:00am to 1:00pm 3:00pm to 5:00pm
Wednesday 9:00am to 1:00pm 3:00pm to 5:00pm
Thursday 9:00am to 1:00pm 3:00pm to 5:00pm
Friday 9:00am to 1:00pm 3:00pm to 6:30pm
Saturday 9:00am to 1:00pm
Sunday